Thursday, July 3, 2008

Welcome and unwelcome visitors, paint colors

Sharon came and hung out with me at the house today! She helped me try paint colors and offered her excellent advice and bargain hunting skills. Then she bought me [more] birthday ice cream! Yay! Thanks, Sharon!
There is a great deal of wildlife around our new house. This is partly because it's been empty for 5 years and partly because it's on one of the last undisturbed pieces of land in the area. With the new highway going right behind our property, animals are forced more and more often to live in close proximity to humans.

Twice now I have seen some kind of hawk perch on the window sills of the high windows in the back bedrooms and flap and screech like he wants to get it. It makes a lot of noise, but he surely is majestic to watch.

A less welcome guest (or three): black widow spiders! Ugh! We found 3 today. I am so glad they were outside (on the other side of the glass from me! Yay! Here are some pictures before Daddy exterminated them!



These are the paint colors we are considering for three of the rooms.

The bedroom (and possibly guest bedroom too): We want our bedroom to match the sheets and comforter we already have, so we thought we'd go with a nice mushroomy color. Sharon, Mom, and I aren't sure this is the right color, though. Mom suggested I try the next lightest color on the card and she promised to go to Lowe's with me tomorrow and help me look at other colors that are close to this one. Hmm. Also, notice the pink and purple heart wall paper and the pinky-purple paint on the walls. Definitely my room, last painted when I was 6. Whoo hoo!



The brown bathroom: What goes well with brown tiles?! I think blue, and I really like this one, even though it went on really weird because the roller was wet. Like Sharon said, "It looks like a cloudy sky!" :) It will match our blue bathroom stuff, at any rate.


Click here to see our pretty blue bathroom stuff. I think it will look great!

And finally, the kitchen: I'm really struggling with this one. Let's start by saying that the cabinets are really pretty, but the wallpaper is old and ugly and the paint underneath is, of course, much worse. So. I thought green would be nice in the kitchen because it matches our dishes (check them out here in celery and cream) and some of our other stuff. I didn't want it to look quite this institutional, though. Still hunting, because I don't like what I have.


Tell us what you think!

No comments: