Monday, January 3, 2011

Things I learned in 2010...

I read several authors' blogs and Twitter feeds, and one I particularly enjoy is Sarah Dessen's. I feel a certain kinship to her because she lives and writes in Chapel Hill and seems so much like me in a lot of ways (from what I can gather on her blog...). At any rate, on Dec. 31, she posted a list of the things she learned in 2010 in lieu of New Year's Resolutions. I like this idea. Rather than planning all the things I want to change about myself, I can take a moment to reflect on the ways I have already changed and grown in the past year. (Sarah Dessen did each one in 140 characters so she could Tweet it. I...don't want to hold myself to that standard. :P)

1. I am a capable stage manager. In reality, this is not all that different from my real job, but it involves telling adults what to do and how to do it, and getting them to work together.

1a. You catch more flies with honey. "Why would you want to catch flies at all?" you ask. Well, in dealing with adults (and children, although that's a little different), a little respect, some humor, and a gentle spirit go a long way toward helping everyone get along.

2. Things are just that: things. They are replaceable. Even if it makes you sick to have to do it. It's the people, the pets, the memories that are most valuable.

3. It really doesn't matter who you love, as long as you love well and fully. God will take care of the rest, and if there are narrow-minded people who try to tell you otherwise, you can always politely usher them right out of your life. You don't need them.

4. Marriage is a sacred thing. It is worth working on, every day, every hour, if necessary. Your husband or wife deserves your best efforts. And your listening heart. <3

5. The more you want something, the crazier the things you'll do to get it. Sometimes it's better just to take a step back and wait. God's timing is perfect, and with faith everything will turn out just fine in the end.

6. No one notices how clean (or not clean) the house is when they come over. They notice the friendship, the laughter, the hugs, and the family they find within our four walls. This is a very difficult lesson for me, and one I admit I have not learned fully.

7. Ask and ye shall receive. Sulk quietly and no one knows what you want. :)

8. It is very difficult and expensive to eat locally, at least in our town. BUT I feel so much better when we do.

8a. Venison is tasty, and I have no problems cooking and enjoying the venison my husband brings home. :)

1 comment:

Jill McClanahan said...

I loved your post and I really needed the message here! I love you Erin!! I am so blessed to have you in my life!

Jill